What is Grounded Theory?
All research is “grounded” in data, but few studies produce a “grounded theory.” Grounded Theory is an inductive methodology. Although many call Grounded Theory a qualitative method, it is not. It is a general method. It is the systematic generation of theory from systematic research. It is a set of rigorous research procedures leading to the emergence of conceptual categories. These concepts/categories are related to each other as a theoretical explanation of the action(s) that continually resolves the main concern of the participants in a substantive area. Grounded Theory can be used with either qualitative or quantitative data.
Grounded Theory – Core Elements. Part 1
Grounded Theory – Core Elements. Part 2
Grounded Theory – Open Coding Part 1
Grounded Theory – Open Coding Part 2
Grounded Theory – Open Coding Part 3
Grounded Theory – Open Coding Part 4
Grounded Theory – Selective coding
Grounded theory – Axial Coding
Grounded Theory – Line-by-line Coding
Grounded theorists and some critiques of grounded theory
- THE DISCOVERY OF GROUNDED THEORY: Strategies for Qualitative Research (1967, 1999) Barney G. Glaser, Anselm L Strauss ISBN 1-884156-13-4
- THEORETICAL SENSITIVITY: Advances in the methodology of Grounded Theory (1978) by Barney G. Glaser, Ph.D. ISBN 1-884156-01-0
- BASICS OF GROUNDED THEORY ANALYSIS: Emergence vs. Forcing (1992) by Barney G. Glaser, Ph.D. ISBN 1-884156-00-2
- DOING GROUNDED THEORY: Issues and Discussions (1998) by: Barney G. Glaser, Ph.D ISBN1-884156-11-8 .
- DOING QUANTITATIVE GROUNDED THEORY (2008) by Barney G. Glaser, Ph.D. ISBN 1-884156-17-7
- No Preconceptions: The Grounded Theory Dictum: (2014) by Barney G. Glaser, Ph.D.
- Memoing: A Vital Grounded Theory Procedure: (2014) by Barney G. Glaser, Ph.D., Hon Ph.D.
- Applying Grounded Theory: A Neglected Option : (2014) by Barney G. Glaser, Ph.D., Hon Ph.D.
- Choosing Grounded Theory: A GT Reader of Expert Advice : (2015) by Barney G. Glaser, Ph.D., Hon Ph.D.
- The Cry for Help: Preserving Autonomy Doing GT Research : (2016) by Barney G. Glaser, Ph.D., Hon Ph.D.
- Grounded Theory Perspective: Its Origin and Growth : (2016) by Barney G. Glaser, Ph.D., Hon Ph.D.